"Tell them I swim with sharks, not mermaids"


It was during my days in the African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) that I first uttered the words “Tell them I swim with sharks not mermaids” I cannot explain what brought this about unfortunately but I had felt undermined and was merely reclaiming my position #IAmChizama. Those were the good days, I miss my comrades.

Fast forward to 2016, I felt like a fraud having said such words and never living up to them. Youth Day fell on a Thursday this year, as part of my #BirthdayCountdown, I took a young road trip to the warm Indian Ocean to interact with sharks as I had alleged a few years ago.

Thursday June 16, we set sail. I am not a big fan of Durban the city perhaps taking a cultural excursion to the shark tank would be worthy of my time I thought. My itinerary was Mandela Capture Site; #Nkandla, yes the famous Nkandla. The home of our President, His Excellency Jacob Zuma;  King Shaka’s Grave; Shembe Pilgrimage and of course the Shark Tank. A different spin to KwaZulu Natal. #OccupyKZN papa.

Mandela Capture Site (Howick, Midlands)


It was at this unassuming little town, on 5 August  in 1962 that Nelson Mandela was captured and arrested.  Armed #Apartheid police flagged down a car in which Nelson Mandela was pretending to be the chauffeur, mind you he had already evaded capture by apartheid operatives for 17 months by then. Smooooth LOL!  History says Mandela had just paid a visit to ANC President Chief Albert Luthuli’s Groutville home to report back on his African odyssey, and to request support in calling for an armed struggle.



 Our Mandela’s freedom was taken away that day. #Apartheid made him disappear, literally. If you grew up in the 1980s you'll remember the freedom songs we sang about our dark skins looking like our Mandela, and finding out upon his release that he was in fact a light -skinned brother hahaha.  None of us had seen a picture of him, when I said Apartheid Government made him disappear, I meant exactly that. 11 February 1990, this great man walked out of those prison gates and called for peace and within 4 years he would become the first black President of South Africa. RIP Mandela

 
I hope you can view this video
 

Nkandla

I was overwhelmed. Here I was at the Nkandla that everyone speaks of.  The entire municipality is picturesque, with a forest (I would like to hike there some day); very well maintained roads and how can I forget tolerance amongst people of Nkandla. I came across a couple walking hand in hand, lady wearing an ANC t-shirt while her partner wore an IFP t-shirt. Another highlight is the filling station at the centre of Nkandla run by only women, mbokodo!!! I thought wow, here I am in a province that “is known for chauvinism” and women are doing this. They fill up petrol for taxi drivers. When I shared this on social media, one girl said this is how things have always been eNkandla.  These are facts that hardly make it to local newspapers.
 

We had planned to go via Eshowe (Shembe Temple) before our final stop eMhlanga but the sun sets so early in the east we had no choice but to drive straight to Durban.
 
UThukela, made more famous by President Mbeki in his I Am An African speech
 

Chief Luthuli, Stanger KZN

Prayer, Shembe Inanda

King Shaka's alleged grave, Stanger KZN
 

Moment of Truth

17 July was finally here. My claims of swimming with sharks were about to be realised. I was up by 4h30 to ensure departure at 5am and cage dive by sunrise.
LOOK. AT. THIS
 
 An hour’s drive landed me at Rocky Bay by 6am. I finally met John, the owner of Shark Cage Dive, KZN. A cool guy indeed.  He reassured me of my safety as I changed into the diving suit, I had not even paid at the time mind you but that did not concern John at all.
Instagram: @cagedive
There were four other divers, 3 ladies and one gentleman from Mauritius. We got on the boat and started our 15km journey to the “shark tank”
The water was 25 degrees warm and sunrise was magical. John had two assistants, who helped to “call the sharks closer to the boat” Get it right, we travelled 15km to shark territory  in the depth of the ocean and actually jumped off the boat to interact with them. I never told anyone about this of course, not before the dive at least. I try to not share prior to taking on a stunt, I did not feel like hearing words of discouragement. Age has taught me that friends and family sometimes discourage you out of their own insecurity instead of concern for your life.

Within moments  sharks surrounded the boat, I started pointing and laughing at myself.
 
Sharks surrounding our cage
 
Yes ghel after all the gibberish you’ve uttered, the time has come. You’re now face to face with sharks, do the right thing and get in there.  One after the other we got out of the boat into the cage. We were now surrounded by sharks, so exhilarating. Here I was a mere 50cm from sharks, no glass separating us. They swam peacefully around us, minding their own business you know, no worry in the world and I felt safe. We saw at least 5 different species. John had told us of about at least 4 different species, I spotted tiger shark; bull shark and of course blacktip shark as seen below. I never once thought they’d attack and they never did.  HAHA I stuck my hand out of the cage trying to touch them  and John was not happy.
I wanted to feel shark skin.

That's a blacktip shark
 
 
   Uhm I just wanted to feel shark skin, what is the big dzeal? I often say you cannot go around hlokolozing people and animals in their own habitat and expect them to not retaliate. Act like a visitor; behave yourself and enjoy the hospitality.

I can finally go back to the ANCYL now and show them proof that I do indeed swim with sharks. Wait, does the YL still exist? **sips tea**
 
 
 
 

Highlights/Lowlights/Observations

1.       People of Nkandla and their relationship with the President. Asking for directions, their response was “Shona le mntaka Ma, uqonde nje uzogcina usungenile emagcekeni akwaMsholozi” (Just continue straight my sister and you’ll end up in his yard)  Living in the same village as the President is no big deal.  Our President lives amongst his people, not in an isolated home. He has no high walls, no signpost directing you to his house. #Respect.

2.       Well maintained roads throughout KZN.

3.       Mbokodo run filling station eNkandla

4.       King Shaka Zulu’s grave and Chief Luthuli’s statue, though we found it by mistake.
 
5.  Driving like a mad person and making excuses that "I'm driving a car with GP registration, relax"

6.       Meeting Fabian Lojede. I found him having breakfast with my girl back at the house after the shark dive. He’s one of my most favourite African actors, a true villain.

7.       Writing my name on the sand, as always
 
8.    Bad hair weekend. I wore a cap all weekend. My hair looked like sht
 
9.       Soundtrack: Play No Games by Big Sean


To the people of KZN: Siyabonga and thank you for reading

 

 


 



 

 

Comments

  1. when i come to SA, i will force you to take me on this road trip again

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautifully told.....waiting for west africa.
    Our Mandela’s freedom was taken away that day. #Apartheid made him disappear, literally. If you grew up in the 1980s you'll remember the freedom songs we sang about our dark skins looking like our Mandela, and finding out upon his release that he was in fact a light -skinned brother hahaha. None of us had seen a picture of him, when I said Apartheid Government made him disappear, I meant exactly that.'



    this is deep though '

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, they even made our dignity disappear. Thank you for reading G

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#LessonsFromMyDad

Khumbulekhaya: A Quantum Leap

The Power of three: Mount Kilimanjaro