Call me #Uwase from Kigali


The people of Rwanda have spoken once again. Presidential elections were held on 4 August 2017 where Paul Kagame was re-elected to a third seven-year term with almost 99% of the vote. I have read all sorts of opinions on President Kagame’s governance and his dictatorship in the media. It seems we all know what’s good for Rwandan people except themselves. Voter turn out and election results beg to differ. He is exactly what the Rwandan people ordered.


Rwanda, the land of a thousand hills. The land of proud Rwandan people; volcanoes and gorillas.




I first heard of Rwanda in 1994 at the height of the genocide. I was too young to understand at the time but I had too many questions. Why were people of the same colour murdering each other? I asked my dad and he likened it to the battle between IFP vs. ANC in 1993 but on a larger scale. I remember asking him: Do they have a leader like we do Mandela, one they’ll listen to? I was naïve (in hindsight) but I knew something was not right. The memories of the genocide would continue to make news over the next 23 years. Hollywood made tons of money through movies and documentaries. As I grew older I started questioning the UN and its reason for existence. How did such things take place; how did the troops invade Iraq in 2003 and Afghanistan in 2011 like there was no referee? I might be using the word referee rather loosely but what is the function of this body? It says on the website The UN Security Council has the primary responsibility for international peace and security. Where was it when these tragedies took place I ask. What peace? What security? Forgive me it frustrates me to think that millions of Africans died while the world watched yet we still hear of 9/11 and the Holocaust to this day.

I digress. #Tholukuthi it’s my blog, relax

Fast forward to 2017.  In the months leading to my visit in Rwanda, Jon gave me the name #Uwase iNtombikayise. I’m the only Uwase with a hashtag though, come correct.
On my itinerary was the genocide memorial of course and the Ankole cows with big horns.

 I had been warned about the pain behind the walls of the genocide memorial so I decided to do that first and be done with it. Dear South African reader who has visited Robben Island and Consitution Hill,that is only the trailer. The genocide memorial is the movie. I prefer to not get into the detail of the atrocities I witnessed but I will share this. There is a room dedicated to child victims




                  

Name: David Mugiraneza
Age: 10
Sport: football
Enjoyed: Making people laugh (Could have been the next Ndumiso Lindi)
Dream: Become a doctor (He could have been one to find the cure for cancer)
Last words: UNAMIR (United Nations Assistance Mission for Rwanda) will come for us
Cause of death :Tortured to death
            
Even in death, this young man had hope that UN would rescue him. This broke my heart. 

WHAT IS THE FUNCTION OF THE UN??!!!!

 The chest people could not handle it. I went back to the hotel after that visit and slept. It was too much to take in. I was spent emotionally.
Poor Jon picked me up at my hotel and took me out later that evening. 

Meet Jon… The gentle giant. Nigga probably 8 ft tall and speaks at least 9 languages including Setswana nesiZulu. A Rwandese that speaks better Zulu than you and your friend Jared. If that's not wizardry then I don't know
               
I still cannot thank him enough just for being himself. Love Always Jon



Lake Kivu

We took a long drive to Gisenyi (Lake Kivu) the following day. Jon had told me I’d be able to see Congo across the lake. I’d have my legs across two countries like. 





It was at the lake that I think I almost got a beating for being tjatjarag LOL! I'll let you give your own interpretation behind these pics


 


On our way to Gisenyi/Lake Kivu we drove past this tea plantation. Yes Jon makes tea, Zalika Tea. Google that!!! #IDontRollWithLosers

Jon's Zalika Tea

Highlights/Lowlights/Observations

1.     There are no chain shops. The Government protects its people from global vultures. Fck your KFC; Zara and H&M LOL!

2.     These young men. Instead of cycling up the hill, They hitch hiked on this truck. They are the true epitome of : Through adversity comes creativity. Kunzima MoAfrika

3.     Meeting Rwandese who once resided in South Africa and are now prohibited from re-entering the country. This was a huge mindfck. Here I was being treated like royalty and feeling at home, using disabled restrooms kanti I was amongst people who are banned from my country. That was the lowlight of my entire trip. My question was: but I flew Rwand Air from Johannesburg, how is that possible? Between you and I, it was a rhetorical question I was too embarrassed. A few days after Kigali, the lady sitting next to me came to South Africa on a business trip. Look at us at the Apartheid Museum. #VisasMustFall. Allow us to be African. Stop diving us!!!


Your former classmates. They're back home, armed with skills to make Rwanda better
We met as strangers. 10 days later we reunited as sisters

4.    “Meeting” President Kagame and the first lady in the streets of Kigali. The President of Rwanda drives himself yall. All citizens know his car, even Chizama knows his car. He drives himself without fear. He knows his people love him and would do him no harm. To be fair, President Zuma walks the streets of Nkandla. It’s in the cities where he uses security ngoba siyanazi migodoyi!!!

5.      The pride of Rwandan people makes me want to be part of something. It makes me want to get citizenship and be in the team to rebuild Rwanda AND the rest of the continent. They have so much pride in themselves, I envy how they moved on from tribal division to standing together despite the superficial differences such as language. They pride themselves in cleanliness. Kigali is cleaner than your Cape Town. They have an activity that takes place on the last Saturday of every month: Umuganda

Umuganda is about community work, coming together of Rwandan people for only one purpose: To make Rwanda better. Shops are closed and citizens including President Kagame himself get engaged in community activities like cleaning the streets. Rwandans between 18 and 65 are obliged to participate in Umuganda. WHAT ON EARTH?!!! Listen, there’s poverty in Rwanda like any other African country but their pride makes them get up and work. I met no homeless people nor did I meet beggars. CLICK HERE AND WEEP!!!


6.    Mukeke fish. I still day dream about this fish. Jon said it is from Burundi. He should not have told me, he has no choice but to go fishing with me in Lake Tanganyika. Wish me luck, I'll photoshop a fish on my afro and post for likes if I'm unsuccessful. Lake Tanganyika it is then LOL!

Not my pic

7.    Rapping to The Warning on our way back to Kigali. That track has not sounded the same eversince.
     
I    


The question that still remains unanswered is how did the people of Rwanda move on from all those tribal battles to becoming proud Rwandans? How did they do it, how did they get past the hate and unite for the good of the country? Their independence is as young as ours. Thousands of Rwandans were killed on the day we cast the first ballot on 27 April 1994. Look at us, 23 years later still shaming each other instead of coming together and fight for what’s ours.  Vuka Mntu omnyama!!!


To the people of Rwanda: Murakoze and thank you for reading

Food makes me happy




STREETS OF RWANDA 



Gifts From Rwanda




Goat Kebabs






No helmet, no ride. That’s drilled in them. Safety, caring for a fellow Rwandan. Call each other out for carelessness. Same goes for walking barefoot. I took off my shoes at the airport. One lady came and reprimanded me. I thought “slow your roll boo, what’s up? Want me to suck your nipples or what?”She instructed me to put my shoes back on. I remembered Jon’s words. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Feet collect dirt, walking barefoot is the opposite of godliness. An ordinary citizen reprimanded me for cleanliness… and you wonder why I want to emigrate






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#LessonsFromMyDad

Khumbulekhaya: A Quantum Leap

The Power of three: Mount Kilimanjaro